We love mayonnaise; but we sure wouldn’t buy it from the store. Store bought mayo seems to always be filled with cheap and probably genetically modified ingredients including soybean oil. There are also frequently those unknown ingredients like “Natural Flavors”. Making our own ensures it only contains healthy ingredients.
The “base” mayonnaise recipe from Sally Falon’s “Nourishing Traditions” calls for:
- 1 whole egg (room temperature)
- 1 egg yolk (room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cultured whey (optional)
- 3/4 to 1 cup oil (extra virgin olive oil and / or expeller-expressed sunflower oil)
- pinch salt
This particular batch came out a little thin. Usually it is much thicker. We may have added a little too much cultured whey to this batch to get the probiotics started. Probiotics are not typically added to mayonnaise… but, if you want a healthy topping… why not?